James Murray of Broughton was grandson of the fifth Earl of Galloway. In 1751 he inherited the family estate near Dumfries and while on his Grand Tour in Italy met the young architect Robert Mylne, from whom he commissioned a Palladian-style mansion. Cally House was complete by 1763. A huge portico was added by Murray's grandson during a neoclassical facelift in the 1830s. In 1934 the Murray family sold up and Cally became a hotel.
In 1666 the Scots baron, Sir Alexander Murray built the first Cringletie House as a home for his younger son. That was demolished in 1861 by James Wolfe Murray who employed the Scottish architect David Bryce to design him a new home in the fashionable Scottish Baronial style. As it clear at Cringeltie, Bryce liked to put small Gothic corner towers on the top of his buildings.
Sign up to our email to receive our most splendid special offers each month!