Copped Hall Mansion and Gardens
The mansion at Copped Hall was completed in 1758 as a gentleman's country house. It was, and is, set in excellent landscape and was well known for the quality of its construction.
The house was burned out in 1917 (not as War damage).The house was subsequently allowed to fall into disrepair and suffered much vandalism. It was saved from very unsympathetic development in a 9-year campaign by the by the Friends of Copped Hall, who, as the Copped Hall Trust, were able to purchase it in 1995. Work began on the gardens immediately and on the mansion in 2000.
All the floors and roof structures are now restored and the house is being used for Study Days and Concerts. Work continues on the interior.
The site has a recorded history going back to the 12th Century. Mary Tudor was a prisoner here for two years in the Tudor House, which is currently the subject of an archaeological investigation. It is believed that 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' was played in that house for the first time.
The current unfinished state of the house offers a wonderful opportunity to see restoration at first hand.