Mellerstain House & Gardens
Mellerstain's acres of beautiful parkland were first laid out in 1725 by William Adam. The formal gardens we enjoy today were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfied in 1910, in an Italian style sympathetic to the 18th century layout. Situated to the south of the main house Blomfield planned a series of Italianate terraces with herbaceous borders; a series of three balustrade terraces leading to a sweeping lawn descending to a lake. The middle terrace is the largest, with an intricate parterre on either side of a central pavement, and lawns at each end. The smaller third terrace includes a fishpond. Other attractions include the unusual Dutch-style thatched cottage, a rhododendron walk and a wooded glen with a collection of unusual shrubs. This area is lovely in the spring, with snowdrops, followed by daffodils and bluebells, covering the ground. The parkland includes some fine specimen trees. Outdoor shoes are recommended for the grounds.