The Top Ten Historic Hotels on the Scottish Border
by Adrian Mourby (November 2012)
The borderland between Scotland and England takes in Hadrian’s Wall, the fortified city of Newcastle Upon Tyne and many well-defended manor houses. This was for centuries a ‘No Man’s Land’, open, wild and dangerous as armies campaigned and raiders made off with cattle. In Queen Victoria’s time Scotland became fashionable and many of these fierce-looking Border houses took on a more welcoming aspect. Today the vast empty spaces between Tyneside and Edinburgh make this a beautiful place to tour by car and the warm hospitality at hotels created out of old castles, abbeys and coaching inns makes another good reason to visit.
Showing below are all 4 records in "The Top Ten Historic Hotels on the Scottish Border"
Langley on Tyne, Hexham
Langley Castle was attacked in 1405 by Henry IV when he was fighting the rebellious Northumbrian Percy family, an incident that Shakespeare dramatised. Left a ruin, the castle was restored in the nineteenth century by a local antiquarian. During World War II it was used as a barracks but since becoming a hotel has won North East Tourism's award for ´Best Small Hotel’.
Gatehouse of Fleet
James Murray of Broughton was grandson of the fifth Earl of Galloway. In 1751 he inherited the family estate near Dumfries and while on his Grand Tour in Italy met the young architect Robert Mylne, from whom he commissioned a Palladian-style mansion. Cally House was complete by 1763. A huge portico was added by Murray’s grandson during a neoclassical facelift in the 1830s. In 1934 the Murray family sold up and Cally became a hotel.
The Heron family came to Britain with William the Conqueror and held this land for five centuries. In the fourteenth century the Herons supported Robert the Bruce who granted them lands around Kirroughtree after a series of victories over the English. In 1719 Patrick Heron, a wealthy livestock trader, built Kirroughtree House. When his line died out in 1873, the new owner, an army major, gave Kirroughtree the Victorian aspect it retains today.
Edinburgh Road, Peebles
In 1666 the Scots baron, Sir Alexander Murray built the first Cringletie House as a home for his younger son. That was demolished in 1861 by James Wolfe Murray who employed the Scottish architect David Bryce to design him a new home in the fashionable Scottish Baronial style. As it clear at Cringeltie, Bryce liked to put small Gothic corner towers on the top of his buildings.
To view the icons please zoom in